Within the framework of the educational programs, the Indo-Hellenic Society for Culture and Development organizes a cultural journey to the beautiful areas of Dharamshala, Kashmir and Ladhak in Northwest India, which over time have become the cradle of the most sophisticated philosophical and spiritual traditions of India.
According to the Indian tradition, this journey includes some of the most important places of astonishing beauty and spiritual power (tirthas) that inspire even for a short while to forget the mundane concerns and step towards spiritual liberty (moksha).
Date: 7 – 26 July 2016.
Duration of the trip: 20 days (18 days in India plus 2 days international journey).
The total duration of the trip in India is 20 days. Those who have limited time available can register for the first 11 days which include travelling to Dharamsala, Jammu and Kashmir, the remaining 9 days include the trip to Ladhak.
The Program of the Journey has been configured as follows:
Day 1 (July 7). Departure from Athens International Airport at 13:40 and arrival in Doha at 18:00. Departure from Doha for New Delhi at 19:55.
Day 2 (July 8). Arrival at IGIA in New Delhi at 2.00 am. Boarding to a private bus for Dharamshala. The route (490 km. 10 hours) is considered one of the best in India and passes through Kurukshetra, where took place the great battle of Mahabharata, the Jyotisar, where Lord Krishna taught Arjuna the Bhagavad Gita, and Chandigarh the capital of Punjab and Haryana. Arrival in Dharamshala in the early afternoon. Relaxation and and overnight stay at McLeod Ganj.
Day 5 (July 11). After breakfast, proceed to Katra. On the way visit to Raghunath Mandir & Shiv Temple in Jammu (182 km. 5 ½ hrs). Later continue to Katra. On arrival check-in at hotel. Overnight stay at hotel in Katra.
Day 7 (July 13). After breakfast, transfer to Srinagar (295 km). On arrival check-in at Hotel. Evening enjoy Shikara Ride at Dal Lake, to see vegetable market, Char Chinar, floating gardens etc. Overnight stay at Hotel in Srinagar.
Day 13 (July 19). After breakfast, optional full day excursion to Lake Pangong (140 km, altitude – 4350 m). The route to Pangong Lake passes through the beautiful Ladakh countryside, over Chang La, the third highest motorable mountain pass (5.289 m) in the world. Return and overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Day 15 (July 21). After breakfast, visit to the Tibetan Hemis Monastery, which is particularly important for those who claim that Jesus studied in India and Tibet, and the Hemis National Park, inhabited by snow leopards. Return and overnight in Leh.
Day 19 (July 25): After breakfast, enjoy sightseeing & shopping in Delhi. Overnight stay at Hotel in New Delhi.
Day 20 (July 26): After breakfast, transfer to Delhi International airport to board the flight for Athens at 10.05 am. Arrival in Athens at 19:20 and end of the journey.
Services included in the tour package:
- Hotels – Double rooms in 3 star hotels extra charge for single rooms. The hotel names are given below for reference.
03 nights in Mcleod Ganj – Hotel Holiday Hill.
02 nights in Katra – Hotel Rani Maa.
04 nights in Srinagar – Majestic Houseboat.
02 night in Kargil – Hotel Caravan Sarai.
05 nights in Leh – Hotel La Buddha.
- Meals – Daily breakfast in Hotels. Dinner can be included, the rates are given below.
- Transportation – A 35 AC seater coach from Delhi to Dharamshala. 2 Tempo from Srinagar-Ladhak Srinagar.
- Availability of Horses – For Vaishno Devi and Amarnath Yatra, take horses on the spot charge is not included.
- Communication – wi-fi will be available free or at a reasonable charge in most of the hotels. In some places no communication available due to the high altitude. Indian sim cards are available with presentation of the required documents, see HERE.
- Shikara ride – Exclusive Shikara ride at Dal Lake Srinagar for one hour.
- English Speaking guide / s – One local experienced tour guide in all mayor cities.
- Lectures and Seminars – Lectures by local teachers and monks in ashrams and monasteries. Introductory seminars on “Kashmir Shaivism” and “Mahayana Buddhism” by Indologist Dr Dimitrios Vassiliadis.
- Cultural Programs – To be advised later which folk programs will be available.
- Sound physical condition. Read the Health Advisory HERE
- Medical Tests: Ask your doctor about your fitness for traveling to high altitude.
- Proper clothing: Suitable for trekking and living at high altitude.
- Simple living and basic knowledge and understanding of Indian culture.
- All participants should be members of ELINEPA. If you are not a member yet, please download the Membership Form HERE
Cost: The exact cost will be adjusted in accordance with the transportation, hotel and service prices we shall face (including international airfare). Based on double rooms with a supplement for single rooms and optional dinner at hotels.
Any entrance fee, temple donation
Tips and gratitude to drivers, bellboys, representatives etc.
Optional sightseeing in New Delhi
Any beverages and extra meals
Laundry, telephone calls and personal expenses
Travel or any insurance
For more information write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0030-6977874652
Maximum number of participants 20 completed.
Dalai Lama’s talk to tourists in Dharamshala
See the documentary “Kashmir the Land of Divine Love”
See the documentary “Life in Leh”
This post is also available in: Ελληνικα (Greek)