School of Fine & Visual Arts Thessaloniki
Industrial Design 1. Winter Semester 2018
Tutor: Georgios Liamadis
THE FIRST YEARS
Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company ( TELCO)
- Hindustan Motors (HML) in Calcutta
- Premier Automobiles (PAL) in Bombay
Prohibition of car imports for toning up of the local industry
Production remained at 40,000 cars per year
- The government has rejected collaborations with
HML-Isuzu, PAL-Nissan, and TELCO-Honda
THE MARUTI REVOLUTION
1971: Maruti Udyong Ltd
Founded by Sanjay Gandhi, the prime minister Indira Gandhi’s son.
- he first Maruti 800 in partnership with the Japanese Suzuki
- the first small, low-cost car, suitable for the upcoming middle class
- the car of the people with only 50,000 rupees
- 2.87 million sales in the last 30 years
The elements of its superiority
- Glossy and aerodynamic, it draws the attention
- 3 different models
-Standard without air conditioning
-Deluxe with leather, velvet and extras on the inside
- Unique characteristics
-Innovative in front motion
– Discs for front wheels
– Four doors
– Head restraints
– Three-point safety belts
The story of Maruti 800 in India- How it all started
- Ishigami, E. (2004). Competition and Corporate Strategy in the Indian Automobile Industry with Special Reference to Maruti Udyog limited and Suzuki Motors. Conference: A Comparison of
Japanesefirm and Korean firm in Indian Automobile Market, pp. 291-314.
- Kale, D. (2012). Sources of Innovation and Technological Capability Development in the Indian Automobile Industry. Institutions and Economics, 4.2, pp. 121-150.
- Sagar, A. and Chandra, P. (2004). Technological Change in the Indian Passenger Car Industry. BCSIA Discussion Paper, Energy Technological Innovation Project. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.
- Sarwade, W.K. (2012). Evolution and Growth of the Indian Automobile Industry. Journal of Management and Economics, 1.3, pp. 93-101.
- Sasi, A. (2014). Maruti Suzuki 800: The Car with no Name. The Financial Express. Retrieved on 19/12/2018 at
This post is also available in: Ελληνικα (Greek)