INTERNATIONAL DAY OF YOGA
“Yoga is an invaluable gift of ancient Indian tradition. It embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfillment; harmony between man and nature and a holistic approach to health and well-being. Yoga is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with ourselves, the world and Nature. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help us to deal with climate change. Let us work towards adopting an International Yoga Day.”
With these worlds the Honorable Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi urged the world community to adopt an international Day of Yoga while addressing the 69th session of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on September 27, 2014.
June 21 was declared as the International Day of Yoga by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 2014 and it was celebrated all over the world. In Greece the celebration of the 1st International Day of Yoga took place on June 21, 2015 in Nea Smyrni Park and parallel events were scheduled in Thessaloniki, Patras, Chania, Heraklion, Egoumenitsa and other cities.
CELEBRATION OF THE 2nd INTERNATIONAL DAY OF YOGA IN GREECE
The celebration of the 2nd International Day of Yoga is organized by the Yoga Association of Greece, the Cultural Organization of the Municipality of Nea Smyrni, the Embassy of India in Greece and with the support of the Hellenic-Indian Society for Culture & Development and India Tourism Milan.
The main celebrations will take place on Sunday June 26 at Nea Smyrni Park as per the following program:
- 12.00 – 19.30. Open workshops and lessons from 36 different yoga schools and 6 lectures. See the detailed program HERE
- 19.45 – 20.15. Panhellenic Meditation for Peace and Spiritual awaking.
20:30-22.30. Celebration at Galaxias Cultural Center, Square of Nea Smyrni, as per the following program:
- Short welcome address by Mrs Eleni Kossifidou, President of Yoga Association of Greece
- Speech by H.E. Mrs Murugesan Manimekalai, Ambassador of India to Greece, on the importance of Yoga and the International Day of Yoga
- Speech by Dr Dimitrios Vassiliadis, Chairman of the Hellenic-Indian Society for Culture and Development (ELINEPA), on Yoga and Unity.
- Speeches by the pioneers of Yoga in Greece
- Cultural program with Indian traditional music, dance and kirtan
Open workshops and yoga lessons are scheduled to take place also in Thessaloniki, Patras, Herakleion, Chania, Kozani, Igoumenitsa, Amorgo and other cities in Greece.
The Corfu Museum of Asian Art in Corfu organizes a Classical Indian Music Concert with ICHOR on 21 June 2016 at 20:00 hrs.
Free Entrance in all seminars and events.