The Hellenic-Indian Society for Culture and Development (ELINEPA) organized a lecture by Dr. Shobhana Radhakrishna (Chief Functionary, Gandhian Forum for Ethical Corporate Governance, Standing Conference of Public Enterprises, India) on the theme:
Mahatma Gandhi: The Global Citizen
On Tuesday, March 12, 2019, at 10 am -12 pm
At New York College (38 Amalias Avenue, Syntagma, Athens)
Welcome Address: Dr. Yannis Fikas, Director of Corporate Relations & Cooperative Education, New York College
Introduction: Dr. Dimitrios Vassiliadis, President of the Hellenic-Indian Society for Culture and Development (ELINEPA).
Introductory speech: H.E. Ms. Shamma Jain, Ambassador of India to Greece
The lecture is held In line with the ongoing celebrations of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi by the Government of India and is jointly organized by the Hellenic-Indian Society for Culture and Development (ELINEPA) and the New York College in Athens.
This talk in English gives an insight into the Mahatma Gandhi’s life and covers various aspects of his transformational leadership that brings about peaceful conflict resolution. In an era where the moral compass is being compromised in the name of progress and pragmatism, Mahatma Gandhi’s ethical values can serve as the role model for transformational leadership and sustainable development. His life was one of dedication and simplicity. He valued non-violence and truth as the guiding principles of his life, and therefore he is an inspiring ideal for global changes. His vision is universal, timeless and cuts across geographical boundaries.
A note about the speaker
Imbibing Gandhiji’s values as she grew up in Mahatma Gandhi’s ashram (community living) situated at Sevagram in Wardha, Dr. Shobhana Radhakrishna’s focal point is the Gandhian way of life and serving humanity.
She is the Chief Functionary of the ‘Gandhian Forum for Ethical Corporate Governance’ formed under the ages of the Standing Conference of Public Enterprises (SCOPE), New Delhi for promoting ethical business practices and organizational integrity in Public Sector Enterprises.
She is the guest faculty for the Company Director’s training program being conducted by the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs. She has regularly addressed young probationary officers of the Indian Civil Services in the apex training academies of Government of India.
She has traveled internationally to hold invited lectures on the transformational leadership of Mahatma Gandhi, as mentioned below:
- In October 2009, 2011 and 2014 on the occasion of UN International day of non-violence, she was invited to deliver 24 lectures in Japan at the Embassy of India in Tokyo, Suginami City Government, JICA, universities and various institutions.
- In July 2014 she gave the keynote address on Gandhian philosophy on Nelson Mandela day at the Constitution Hill and the Tolstoy Farm in Johannesburg, on invitation from the High Commissioner of India in Pretoria for the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the departure of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa.
- On the occasion of the UN International Day of Non-Violence on 2nd October 2014, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP) and the Embassy of India in Thailand organized her special lecture at the United National Convention Centre in Bangkok.
- On 2nd October 2015, the High Commission of India in Sri Lanka organized her special lecture at the Indian Cultural Centre, Colombo University.
- On 2nd October 2016, the Embassy of India in Tunisia and ICCR organized her special lectures at the Manouba University in Tunis and unveiled the statue of Mahatma Gandhi.
- On the occasion of the UN International Day of Non-Violence in October 2016 she was invited by the Embassy of India in China for lectures at the Indian Mission in Beijing and in Fudan University in Shanghai.
- Last year, on the occasion of the 150th birth anniversary celebration of Mahatma Gandhi, she delivered special lectures at the King Faisal Center for Research and Islamic Studies in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and after that in Malaysia, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
- From 16 February to 15 March 2019, she is visiting Egypt, Turkey, Bahrain, Italy, Greece and Sweden for a lecture tour on Mahatma Gandhi in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
This post is also available in: Ελληνικα (Greek)