The Athens Center for Indian & Indo-Greek Studies and the Synthesis Center organize a series of nine lectures on the theme “Introduction to Indian Philosophy” with Indologist Dr Dimitrios Vassiliadis.
Saturday, October 21, 14: 00 – 16: 00 hrs.
At the Synthesis Center
16 Voiotias & Ipeirou str
Near Chalandri Metro Station
1. Comparative presentation of Greek and Indian philosophies – Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 14:00 – 16:00 hrs.
Relations between Greek and Indian philosophy. Historical contacts, ideological similarities and differences.
Study: The Greeks in India, Greeks and Buddhism.
2. Following the Natural Law – The Vedic View of Life – Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 17:00 – 19:00 hrs.
Four Vedas, the Sanskrit language, Vedic philosophy, Vedic education, monasticism and society, four aims of life, four social classes (castes).
Text: The Hymn of Creation.
3. From Ritual to Knowledge – The Philosophy of the Upanishad-s – Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 17:00 – 19:00 hrs.
Transition from ritual knowledge, the secret doctrine, Brahman and Atma, four great declarations (mahavakya-s), Maya or ignorance, the principal Upanishad-s.
Study: Ishavasia Upanishad
4. The Indian Epics – Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 17:00 – 19:00 hrs.
Unification of the Vedic with the indigenous Indian religion, the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, yoga in the Bhagavad Gita (Knowledge, Action, Devotion).
Study: Bhagavad Gita
5. The Nastikas: Buddhism, Jainism, Materialism – Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 17:00 – 19:00 hrs.
The epistemological, metaphysical and moral philosophy of Indian materialism (Charvaka), Jainism (anekantavada, syadvada, capture and release), Buddhism (the Buddha’s teaching, initial and subsequent schools, Nirvana, the expansion of Buddhism).
6. Rationality and Realism – The orthodox Brahmanical schools – Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 17:00 – 19:00 hrs.
The realism of Vaisheshika, the logic of Nyaya, and the ritualistic approach of Mimamsha,
7. Kapila’s Sankhya and Patanjali’s Yoga – Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 17:00 – 19:00 hrs.
The practice of Yoga and the dualistic theory of Sankhya.
Study: Sankhya Karika, Yoga Sutra
8. Vedanta and Tantra – Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 17:00 – 19:00 hrs.
Schools and philosophy of Vedanta. The development of the tantric tradition, the tantric schools, philosophy of Tantra.
Study: Avadhouta Gita, Shiva Sutra.
9. Yoga in Tantra – Saturday, June 6, 2018 at 17:00 – 19:00 hrs.
Students who attend all lectures receive certificate from the Athens Center for Indian & Indo-Greek Studies.